[arch-general] plans for Xorg/Mesa - closed drivers may break for some time in testing

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Fri Dec 17 02:32:39 EST 2010

A new libdrm has been released. This is required to build new ddx
drivers for nouveau and the latest intel rc driver for sandy bridge gfx.

The current Mesa 7.9 branch won't build anymore the nouveau-dri stuff
with the updated libdrm and it's quiet a buggy upstream release. Mesa
7.10 branch is short before the release and has tons of fixes and
completes some missing features.

We also have a minor Xorg-server 1.9.3 update pending that I will
do in extra. Then there's already Xorg-server 1.10 rc1 out for some
time we need to test.

My plan is to start bringing new libdrm/mesa7.10/Xorg1.10 in the next
days to testing. This will improve (me prays) the situation for open
source drivers but will probably break the proprietary drivers for
some time.

I don't follow the closed stuff. Maybe you know something about the
state of catalyst and nvidia with new Xorg 1.10.

-Andy