[arch-general] Gnome is Working But Missing Apps

Carlos Williams carloswill at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 11:15:01 EST 2010

I have Gnome Desktop Environment up and running perfect on my Arch
x86_64 system but I elected to not install "gnome-extra" packages
because it installs too much junk I don't want and or need. My
question is I am missing two applications from Gnome and don't know
what they're called and or what to search for.

1st - I can't open any JPEG or PNG images because Gnome does not
appear to have the proper application to manage displaying those types
of files. Can someone tell me what the name of the package is Gnome
uses for default image viewing? I don't want Gimp for editing images,
just to plainly view them.

2nd - I need the ability to RDP into a Windows XP workstation and I
installed "rdesktop" packages via Pacman but I think that is the back
end package and I am looking for the Gnome GUI application which
allows me to do so. I don't know the name of that package. Can anyone
please point me in the correct direction?