[arch-general] Multiple Kernels

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Mon Feb 1 12:28:46 EST 2010

Emmanuel Benisty wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists at itech7.com> wrote:
>
>> How to install multiple kernels using pacman ?
>>
>> Arch should do something like Fedora/Redhat. Maintain 1-2 previous kernels
>> so that if a new one is buggy, then the old one can be used.
>>

> QFT.
>
> WAIT WHAT?
> http://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/i686/kernel26-lts/
> http://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/kernel26-lts/

Here is how I do this
My boot filesystem is on a separate partition YMMV
You also need to keep all the kernel modules so you will have to save them
or pacman will remove them on the upgrade.
ie copy /lib/modules<kernel version> to some place and restore them
after the kernel upgrade
otherwise the previous kernel will complain it can't find them when you
try to boot it.

mkdir -vp /boot/previous         # make a pkace in /boot

cp -var /boot/<all the kernel files>* /boot/previous    # copy all the
kernel stuff

#add to /boot/grub/menu.lst

#(#) Arch Linux Previous
title  Arch Linux  [Previous]
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /prevoius/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda3 ro
initrd /previous/kernel26.img

# Now do the upgrade
sudo pacman -Syy && sudo pacman -S kernel26