[arch-general] library version conflict -- how does Arch solve this ?

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 21:42:34 EST 2010

Hi fons,

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:02 AM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
<snip>
> Replacing is allowed only if the major version
> number stays the same (which implies the lib
> will be compatible with the one it replaces).
>
> The only alternative to this is making sure that
> updated versions of all apps are made available
> as soon as the new library is used by any of them,
> and this is clearly impossible.

Actually, the new libpng/libjpeg was in [testing] for a couple of
weeks while rebuilds were done for every single application in the
official repos (including [community] and [community-testing]). They
were all moved to [core],[extra], and [community] at the same time.

So no, it is not impossible, though very difficult. The devs/TUs have done it.

> I'm pretty sure that at the moment a system update
> or even complete fresh install including texlive,
> emacs and gnuplot will have the latter two not
> working. The most recent versions (as of writing)
> require different libraries.
>
> So, apparently there is no solution.

This would be a bug. I'm pretty sure the most recent versions for all
work though, unless your mirror is only partially updated. Haven't had
any problems here (though I don't use those specific apps).