[arch-general] library version conflict -- how does Arch solve this ?

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 04:17:59 EST 2010

On 8 February 2010 10:02,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> The only alternative to this is making sure that
> updated versions of all apps are made available
> as soon as the new library is used by any of them,
> and this is clearly impossible.
>
> I'm pretty sure that at the moment a system update
> or even complete fresh install including texlive,
> emacs and gnuplot will have the latter two not
> working. The most recent versions (as of writing)
> require different libraries.
>
> So, apparently there is no solution.

Hi Fons

Actually, that's exactly how it was: http://www.archlinux.org/news/482/

Everything was hunted down and rebuilt in testing, before being moved
to the repos wholesale.

That then results in a huge update for some people, so partial updates
would definitely break your system. Hence, -Syu and making sure it
completes.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD