[arch-general] A suggestion for the devs regarding rebuilds

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Mon Feb 8 17:26:15 EST 2010

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 3:36 PM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 04:19:04PM -0500, Ray Kohler wrote:
>>

>>> It is *required* to do only complete system updates when using Arch.
>>> Partial updates are not supported, *by design*.
>>>
>> If that is true, which I refuse to believe, it means
>> that Arch is a toy system only suitable for kids who
>> take a kick of out if keeping it up to date, in the
>> same way as some others keep their postage stamp
>> collection up to date but never use one of those
>> stamps to actually send a letter.
>>

> This is not conducive to fixing what you see as a flaw. Please act
> less like the "kids" you so profane and try to be more constructive.
> In short: if you're going to call people children, at least act like
> an adult.
>

> Would you mind explaining HOW, from a pacman perspective, you plan to
> keep an old library on the system in your ideal system?
>
> Example:
> installed libfoo 1.0
> installed app-bar which links to libfoo 1.0
> on server libfoo 2.0 (soname change)
>
> When I attempt to install app-baz, which pulls in libfoo 2.0, how do
> you expect to resolve all the conflicts that result from keeping
> libfoo 1.0 on the system at the same time as libfoo 2.0? All sorts of
> things are in conflict here. There's no way to automatically cover
> these cases that I can see

Why not make libfoo 2.0 and libfoo 1.0  available all time time until a
pacman -Qdt say it is not used/needed any more?
Then the user could remove it and not expect anything bad to happen.

Could something like that be done?

FWIW, I have moved from Arch to Slackware on my main machines, just
because of the "I did a sudo pacman -Syy && sudo pacman -Su" and now
have @#*%*# it's broke, syndrome .  I needed stability on those
machines, not update and let's see what I have to fix for the next few
hours, or I hope it didn't break anything.

I still have arch on a "don't matter if it breaks" machine, just to play
with.