[arch-general] A suggestion for the devs regarding rebuilds

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 16:47:47 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 3:36 PM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 04:19:04PM -0500, Ray Kohler wrote:
>
>> It is *required* to do only complete system updates when using Arch.
>> Partial updates are not supported, *by design*.
>
> If that is true, which I refuse to believe, it means
> that Arch is a toy system only suitable for kids who
> take a kick of out if keeping it up to date, in the
> same way as some others keep their postage stamp
> collection up to date but never use one of those
> stamps to actually send a letter.

This is not conducive to fixing what you see as a flaw. Please act
less like the "kids" you so profane and try to be more constructive.
In short: if you're going to call people children, at least act like
an adult.

Would you mind explaining HOW, from a pacman perspective, you plan to
keep an old library on the system in your ideal system?

Example:
installed libfoo 1.0
installed app-bar which links to libfoo 1.0
on server libfoo 2.0 (soname change)

When I attempt to install app-baz, which pulls in libfoo 2.0, how do
you expect to resolve all the conflicts that result from keeping
libfoo 1.0 on the system at the same time as libfoo 2.0? All sorts of
things are in conflict here. There's no way to automatically cover
these cases that I can see