[arch-general] A suggestion for the devs regarding rebuilds

vlad vla at uni-bonn.de
Mon Feb 8 19:29:12 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 01:07:18AM +0100, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 09:49:50AM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>
> > We only support the latest packages in the repos, so if you have
> > issues with old versions of packages or packages from unsupported
> > sources, then it is up to _you_ to fix them.
>
> I don't have issues with them, except that they get
> deleted when they shouldn't be.
>
> What happens now is that if I have a package
> that depends on a library that has been updated
> in the repos, you take the liberty to disable
> that package when by chance I installl something
> completely unrelated that just happens to use
> the same library in a new version.
>
> I don't ask you to 'support' my old package. Just
> to leave it alone. And that is *not* in conflict
> with your desire to use the a new library in the
> all repo packages. It is completely unrelated to
> maintaining a repo.

It seems you don't get the point.
Arch provides a way to deal with such a situation through the AUR.
And, actually, you ask to support your old package. I guess you'll find a
package out there which still depends on - let´s say - libpng02. I think
it is pretty impossible for a rolling distro to just leave it alone
(from distro-side - on user-side you can do what you like).