[arch-general] A suggestion for the devs regarding rebuilds

Denis A. Altoé Falqueto denisfalqueto at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 19:54:17 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> I actually do suggest not to use versioned dependencies...  that way when
> someone did a "pacman -Sy breakingpkg", it would not pull in the new library
> version and on the new package would be "broken" because of a missing
> library.  Versioned dependencies are a broken hack.

Just one crazy idea that crossed my mind...

It would be very nice if we could mark some files in a package so that
when updating the package, they would not be removed and, instead,
would be added to the list of files belonging to that package.

Let's say: in libpng, /usr/lib/libpng.so.1.2 will be marked as such,
so when updating to libpng-1.4, /usr/lib/libpng.so.1.2 will be kept
and added to the list of managed files in libpng-1.4 too, even though
it wan't there at packaging time.

I know that this is not the best technical solution, but it would
satisfy both sides. Of course, that would require some implementation
on pacman, but I'm just throwing my opinion.

By the way, i never had any issues with upgrades in official packages,
just my own compiled ones. I recompiled them and am happy rolling on
:)

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
Q: Why is top posting so bad?