[arch-general] A suggestion for the devs regarding rebuilds

Denis A. Altoé Falqueto denisfalqueto at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 20:03:18 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Denis A. Altoé Falqueto
<denisfalqueto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just one crazy idea that crossed my mind...
>
> It would be very nice if we could mark some files in a package so that
> when updating the package, they would not be removed and, instead,
> would be added to the list of files belonging to that package.
>
> Let's say: in libpng, /usr/lib/libpng.so.1.2 will be marked as such,
> so when updating to libpng-1.4, /usr/lib/libpng.so.1.2 will be kept
> and added to the list of managed files in libpng-1.4 too, even though
> it wan't there at packaging time.
>
> I know that this is not the best technical solution, but it would
> satisfy both sides. Of course, that would require some implementation
> on pacman, but I'm just throwing my opinion.

Some more thinking about it...

Of course, as the time goes by, there would be lots of old libraries
trashing the system, but it would be possible to make some tool to
remove unused ones, in the same principle of the tools used to trace
packages needing recompiling.

Yeah, crazy... but can we?

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.