[arch-general] [Device Auto-mounting] HAL, KDE4.4 and tight default permissions

Gaurish Sharma contact at gaurishsharma.com
Wed Feb 10 07:10:38 EST 2010

Hello,
I have a small problem with default permissions of  Automounted
Removable Devices. Whenever I mount it via KDE4.4's Auto-mounter. it
sets all files to be owned by root.

$ ls -la /media/Backup/
total 24
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  4096 Feb 10 16:07 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root  4096 Feb 10 17:30 ..
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Feb 10 16:07 lost+found

I know KDE does not mount anything, it asks HAL. nothing is in
/etc/fstab but in /etc/mtab and in /proc/mount I got
$ cat /etc/mtab
/dev/sdb1 /media/Backup ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal 0 0

$ cat /etc/proc
/dev/sdb1 /media/Backup ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

This means I can't write/modify anything as a normal user. mounting
manually every-time I need to transfer few files is annoying.HAL
mounts drives by default only for root user.

[1] hal 0.5.14-1
[2] qt 4.6.1-1
[3] kernel26 2.6.32.8-1

 I was wondering how to change this behavior and so by default normal
users could read-write into auto-mounted partitions.

Regards,
Gaurish Sharma
www.gaurishsharma.com