[arch-general] [Fwd: [LAU] A sound decision]

Uli Armbruster uli.armbruster at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 12 04:58:05 EST 2010

* hollunder <hollunder at lavabit.com> [10.02.2010 17:50]:
> Excerpts from Uli Armbruster's message of 2010-02-10 13:11:50 +0100:
> > * hollunder <hollunder at lavabit.com> [10.02.2010 12:45]:
> > > Well, there are also lots of people who have complaints about macs and
> > > pt, but pt sure has good marketing. I doubt a networked setup such as
> > > his would be possible with pt.
> >
> > Well, I don't know if it's possible to set up a comparable networked setup with protools, that surely is a big advantage jack delivers us. Tomorrow I'll do a recording in a professional studio (SAE in munich, for those who know this school) which I guess uses mac + protools. I think I'll take a closer look to it, maybe they have such a networked setup there. But I doubt it..
>
> The SAE in Munich did for a while sponsor Paul Davis to work on a Mac
> version of Ardour with a simplified user interface for teaching purposes.
> Maybe you can get us some information from there, whether it was used,
> how well it worked and so on..
>
> Regards,
> Philipp

So, back again. I really had close to no time yesterday to talk to people, I was the guy who was chosen to be the one with the camera, because I'm our "multimedia guy" ;-) But I asked the 2nd tone assistant about the software being used in the SAE and he talked about ProTools, Logic, Cubase and Nuendo. I asked him, if he knows Ardour, he said, of course, the guy who wrote that software is right next door! But the guy was gone already. I forgot his name, but it was not Paul Davis ;-) But I guess he might be a contributor or something.
About the networked setup, well, in the control room there was no networked setup, the computer was there and every other hardware. Only the backups are stored on another computer via network.

For those interested, tomorrow we'll get the final product and provide it as free (free in the sense of free beer) download on our homepage http://www.unstucc.de and on http://www.myspace.com/unstucc (I hope a little advertisement is allowed here ;-) ) It's a crossover song with Metal and HipHop, a little bit like Linkin Park.

Greetz
Army