[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Clean up the base group

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Feb 26 08:53:54 EST 2010

Am 26.02.2010 14:01, schrieb Heiko Baums:
> Am Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:31:36 +0100
> schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:
>
>> We don't need rp-pppoe in base (IMO not even in core, but others
>> disagree).
>
> I disagree because configuring a pppoe client with pure ppp is far too
> complicated. For people who haven't got a router and establish their
> DSL connections directly from their PC it's much easier to configure
> the pppoe client and establish the connections with rp-pppoe than with
> pure ppp. I tried both and reverted very fast to rp-pppoe.
>
> And because configuring and establishing the DSL connections is an
> essential task and also necessary on the LiveCD I think that rp-pppoe
> needs to stay in [core] and in the base group.

I already said that people disagree. I forgot to mention earlier that
ppp should also be removed from base.

The only thing rp-pppoe does is:
1) Duplicate the pppoe code that is already in ppp (the kernel-mode
pppoe plugin, it is almost identical in ppp and pppoe)
2) Duplicate code that is already in the kernel (userspace pppoe, at
least that existed in the past)
3) Provide software for a pppoe server (not "core" functionality in any way)
4) Provide convenience scripts for pppoe configuration.

The only reason people need rp-pppoe is 4). I wanted to write a pppoe
connection for netcfg, but didn't get to it so far. Once we have that,
we can move rp-pppoe to extra and only have ppp+netcfg in core.