[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Clean up the base group

Leandro Inacio carvalho.inacio at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 08:58:23 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:03, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 26/02/10 22:31, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>
>> Am 26.02.2010 10:28, schrieb Allan McRae:
>>
>>> HI,
>>>
>>> I mentioned this several months ago and got no response so I will post
>>> again.  If there are no objections in 48 hours, the rebuilds will start
>>> hitting [testing].
>>>
>>> FS#12890 suggests cleaning some of the packages from the base group.
>>> The goals are to remove old packages that are really no longer needed
>>> (e.g. cpio) and packages that are only needed as dependencies for other
>>> packages and would not be installed otherwise (e.g. libfetch).  That
>>> will clean up the package selection list for the base group in the
>>> installer.
>>>
>>> Here is the list of what I will do:
>>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/Base_Cleanup
>>> It splits the packages in the base group into those staying in base;
>>> those removed from base but staying in [core]; those removed from
>>> [core].  Packages marked with (???) mean I am not sure what category to
>>> put them in.  If there are no comments, I will be playing it safe with
>>> these.
>>>

>> We don't need rp-pppoe in base (IMO not even in core, but others
>> disagree).
>>

> I'll flag it for removal from base but leave in [core] for the moment. I am
> on the side that thinks it is probably best to keep this on the installer.
> :P
>

>  We should also remove wpa_supplicant from base. My plans were to create
>> a new "base-networking" and "base-wireless" group. The base-wireless
>> group would (among others) cover wpa_supplicant.
>>

> I will leave wpa_supplicant in base until such a group is created.
>
> Cheers,
> Allan

I guess that a group for related network packages in base-network seems
reasonable and less confusing at time of installation.

Another group as base-support for other packages that are "loose" within the
core, at least in the installation, so you know there are other packages to
be selected or not.

--
Leandro Inácio