[arch-general] Kernel panic with kernel26 2.6.32.2-2 from [core]

Steve Holmes steve.holmes88 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 23:01:07 EST 2010

I think I am in much better shape now.  I managed to upgrade all
kernel packages and speakup but had to modify my grub.cfg so all boots
now with latest packages.  What I have been using is kernel parameters
to give me the 128x160 console but then my system stopped booting with
the latest kernel upgrade.  I will paste in my grub.cfg entries below
so you can see what I had to comment out.  Basically i stopped the
insmod of the vbe module and removed the vga parms in the kernel
entry.

#insmod vbe

# Timeout for menu
set timeout=15

# Set default boot entry as Entry 0
set default=0
# (0) Arch Linux
menuentry "Arch Linux" {
set root=(hd1,1)
#linux /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdb1 ro video=vesafb:mode=1024x768-32 vga=790
linux /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdb1 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26.img
}

You can see, I just commented out the entries that gave me the nice
screen but at least I can boot now.  Any ideas? Did something change
with the 2.6.32 kernel in the VESA frame buffer department?