[arch-general] Kernel panic with kernel26 2.6.32.2-2 from [core]

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Fri Jan 1 23:26:38 EST 2010

Am Fri, 1 Jan 2010 21:01:07 -0700
schrieb Steve Holmes <steve.holmes88 at gmail.com>:

> I think I am in much better shape now.  I managed to upgrade all
> kernel packages and speakup but had to modify my grub.cfg so all boots
> now with latest packages.  What I have been using is kernel parameters
> to give me the 128x160 console but then my system stopped booting with
> the latest kernel upgrade.  I will paste in my grub.cfg entries below
> so you can see what I had to comment out.  Basically i stopped the
> insmod of the vbe module and removed the vga parms in the kernel
> entry.

> #insmod vbe
>
> # Timeout for menu
> set timeout=15
>
> # Set default boot entry as Entry 0
> set default=0
> # (0) Arch Linux
> menuentry "Arch Linux" {
> set root=(hd1,1)
> #linux /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdb1 ro
> video=vesafb:mode=1024x768-32 vga=790 linux /boot/vmlinuz26
> root=/dev/sdb1 ro initrd /boot/kernel26.img
> }
>
> You can see, I just commented out the entries that gave me the nice
> screen but at least I can boot now.  Any ideas? Did something change
> with the 2.6.32 kernel in the VESA frame buffer department?

This has nothing to do with my kernel panics which were fixed by just
upgrading to [testing] and didn't came back when downgrading back to
[core].

I don't know what vbe is for but the video and vga parameters may
conflict each other because both set the framebuffer resolution but set
different framebuffer modes/devices. So you should either use the video
or the vga parameter. For me the vga parameter is sufficient.

As far as I know is vga for vesafb and video for vesafb-tng (if this
still exists) and other framebuffer devices like radeonfb etc.

And as far as I read is video with only the resolution necessary for
KMS if KMS doesn't set the correct screen resolution automatically.

Greetings,
Heiko