[arch-general] high CPU temperature with 2.6.32

Dimitrios Apostolou jimis at gmx.net
Tue Jan 5 09:43:57 EST 2010

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, Dimitrios Apostolou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> pacman just brought kernel 2.6.32 for my old laptop (P3 500MHz). A strange
> thing I noticed is that the fan won't go off when CPU is idling like it used
> to. Using powertop I can see more than 100K wakeups/s (extra_timer_interrupt
> is first on the list but I think it's irrelevant since it only shows about
> 100 wakeups), and the CPU is not going into C2 mode at all. Strangely however
> the cpu is 99% idle, and top doesn't show "system" or "user" cpu usage.

FYI this happens when the module "processor" is inserted, whence I get
something like "marking tsc as unstable due to halts in idle. Using
acpi_pm clocksource".

Before that the CPU is idling cool, but from then on I get ~130K wakeups/s
and the CPU runs hot. My workaround for the moment is booting with
parameter "clocksource=pit".