[arch-general] high CPU temperature with 2.6.32

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Jan 7 05:03:52 EST 2010

Jim Clark wrote:
> Hate to state the obvious, because it was my problem. Dropped my
> laptop from 75C to 50C... cleaning the hairball out of my heatsink.
>
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:47 AM, daniel robinson <dcntfeller at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 5, 2010 7:05 AM, "Dimitrios Apostolou" <jimis at gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote: > > Do you run acpi-cpufreq?
>> No I don't. In fact I don't think the CPU is able to lower its frequency.
>>

>> Dimitris

Just make sure you take a paper-clip and open it up and put it through the fan grill to hold the fan stationary before you take a vacuum or shop vac to the air intake/exhaust. You run the risk of scattering or damaging the fan(s) if you just let them freewheel. After a minute or two of suctioning, you should see several lumps of fur on the inside of the grill which can generally be removed easily by rubbing across the grill with your hand, (or) using some duct tape to tease the fluff through, (or) in the worst case using a pair of tweezers and needle to pick the hairball through. And yes, it will completely cure the overtemp shutdowns for a year or two...

(this is theoretical of course -- not spoken from experience or anything like that ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC