[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [announcement] qemu/qemu-kvm announcement draft

Simon Boulay simon.boulay at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 05:04:17 EST 2010

On 01/10/2010 09:48 AM, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
> Am Samstag 09 Januar 2010 schrieb Simon Boulay:

>>> Yes sure i can add those vercmp stuff.
>>> qemu and qemu-kvm is different.
>>> qemu-kvm is only for  kvm while qemu provides much more machines to
>>> emulate.
>>
>> I'm not sure about that. Both seems to share the same code for machine
>> emulation; only the kvm stuff is different. In fedora 12, they build kvm
>> and qemu-system-xxx from qemu-kvm 0.11. But I don't know how this will
>> evolve in the future.
>> If qemu and qemu-kvm are used for different purposes, one may need to
>> install both apps side by side but that's not possible in archlinux.
> Why?
> qemu is for those who need more different emulation types.
> qemu-kvm is only for 86 emulation with kvm hardware support.
> Both differ in files you would need to hack bios file destination etc.
> I don't see any need to install both at the same time.
Because one may want to use x86 emulation with kvm hardware support and
qemu-system-arm for example on the same machine.
It is possible to build all targets with qemu-kvm but that's not the
default and I don't know if that'll be the case for future release.
For 0.11 release, qemu and qemu-kvm seems to converge, but with 0.12
that's not so clear (at least to me). As I understand it, the
development of platform emulation is done in qemu and kvm virtualization
is done in qemu-kvm (even if qemu has some kvm support) but the qemu
repository is regularly merged in qemu-kvm. I don't find any official
statement about that, so...

greetings,
Simon.