[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] OS News interview

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 06:28:18 EST 2010

The common way is to reply on arch-general, so I will include that
list in CC now.

Thanks for the clarification. So your concern was not about using
external binaries, it was about keeping to use outdated Arch programs.
That's also a very good point when talking about disadvantages of the
rolling release model.
It seems most developers answered purely from a developer point of
view more than a user one.
But I read the answers again and noticed the overlord did mention both sides :)
"Aaron Griffin: The biggest problem with the rolling release model is
laziness - from upstream developers and Arch users. We try to stay up
to date wherever possible, but some upstream developers are slow at
adopting new changes. This means we need to do extra work to make
their software compatible with new library versions and things of that
nature. On the user end, you get people who don't regularly update
their system (something we indicate as very important), and you end up
with newer software and older libraries on the same system, causing
breakages."

So I just want to highlight that it's indeed very important to
regularly update a Arch system, and it's something that should be made
clear when advertising Arch, because it definitely does not fit to
everyone.