[arch-general] Why Is My RAID Installing Failing?

Carlos Williams carloswill at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 11:03:59 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:58 AM, dave reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> Hrmm, I've followed the wiki [1] a few times and it hasn't steered me
> wrong. While it does combine some of the old with the new, it makes
> one point fairly clear when messing with Grub:
>
> "Nowadays (2009.02), with the mdadm hook in the initrd it it no longer
> necessary to add kernel parameters concerning the RAID array(s)."
>
> So it's one or the other. Either the mdadm hook in initrd assembles
> your array, or Grub does it for you. I apologize if my last post was a
> little confusing as well -- I was trying to point out that if you did
> go with the Grub assembled array, your parameters were incorrect.
> However, as you did specify mdadm for your initrd, you do not need to
> pass this option in Grub at all.
>
> Hope that's a little clearer.
>
> [1] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_with_Software_RAID_or_LVM

I guess thats just it. I am following the Wiki and well. The Wiki
shows 3 disks. And then they partition each drive into three sections.
It seems the biggest trick with the Wiki is getting Grub to boot from
a RAID array. I don't even want my /boot partition as part of my RAID
so I would think the chances of failure are greatly reduced, no?

I simple have my / partition in a RAID1 array and both /boot and Swap
are sitting alone on their respected disk partitions. So I have to
wonder why do I have so many problems when I follow the Wiki guide?
Did you review my 1st email I started this with which showed my step
by step according to Wiki and even some added advise from this list.
Do you see what would cause my failure then based on that?