[arch-general] Why Is My RAID Installing Failing?

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Tue Jan 12 11:10:33 EST 2010

On Tuesday 12 January 2010 10:36:49 am Carlos Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:21 AM, dave reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> > With mdadm in your initrd, you don't need to specify the parameters of
> > the array in Grub. Foregoing that, the first parameter passed to the
> > "md" option is the type of raid array (e,g, 0, 1, 456) and not the
> > number of devices in the array. Sounds good, otherwise.
>
> Dave,
>
> Sorry I am confused. Are you saying that I should not do as Baho
> suggested to my Grub's menu.lst? So what now? I am really lost. I am
> being told to not add any 'mdadm' and 'raid1' modules & hooks into my
> system configuration because it needs to be done in Grub. But it seems
> to me now you're telling me I should not have to mess with Grub. I
> just want a simple RAID1 mirror on my system and the Wiki is a
> complete mess and not working for me.

Sorry for any confusion on my part, but the way I have described to you is the
old way and I have not it fail on me.

I have never been able to get raid to boot using the mdadm line in the initrd,
so I use the old way which always works for me.

I don't like to be constantly messing with my systems, I just what them to
work.