[arch-general] gmail and mailing list

Alexander Duscheleit jinks at archlinux.us
Tue Jan 12 20:11:02 EST 2010

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:45:27 +0100
Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> It's a gmail issue.
> >>
> >> I'm not sure if there is a setting or something like that, but i've
> >> noticed the same and also heard other people about it.
> >>

> >> mvg,
> >>    Guus
> >>

> > Same problem here, and they even know about it, they might as well
> > provide some workaround or option to change it.
> >
> > http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6588
> >

> I don't understand how that is an issue. Why do you want to see your
> own mails in the inbox ?
> For each ML I subscribe to, I create a new label and a new filter, and
> I set it to skip inbox and archive because I do not want ML to clutter
> my inbox. Much better that way :)

I don't use GMails web interface, i just pull all my mail from there
via IMAP and it's sorted on my local server via sieve/dovecot together
with a bunch of other accounts.
This "feature" thus destroys threads for me, and I never know, if a
mail actually has reached the ML (my connection tends to be flaky at
times) until somebody replies to it.