[arch-general] Startup scripts

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 16:56:41 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Tom <uebershark at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> While it is a hair misleading, entering the root password at this
>> point gets you to your system.
>
> No, it does not. You get dropped to a promt, I don't know which
> 'init-level' its on, but it generally does not get you to your system
> like a normal boot.
>
>> Also, to shut off automatic fsck at boot. From `man fsck`:
>>     Filesystems with a fs_passno value of 0 are skipped and are not
>> checked at all.
>
> I don't want to turn off the automatic check, I just think(among a few
> other things) that this test should be easily  skip-able. The
> startup-script behaves very 'dumbly ' at said point, IMHO.

And I disagree. It's about maintaining system integrity. If anything
goes wrong with fsck, then your system's integrity cannot be
guaranteed.

That said, it does appear that fsck returns "canceled by user request"
(32) on a Ctrl-C, and it's entirely possible to continue booting after
this.

> I neither know enough to 'fix' this kind of thing myself, nor do I
> really have the time. I know very well that this is a community
> distro, and that its wrong to rant, but I did put it in '**' ;)
>
> Also I don't agree that it is right to be silent (not file bug
> reports) just for the sake of 'politeness'

If you don't know enough to fix it, then learn. You obviously
understand what fsck DOES, how to cancel it, and how to read a man
page. That's all you need to know. In fact, that's exactly what I did
- looked in rc.sysinit, then the man page for fsck, and discovered how
to fix this (see above, return code of 32). The only way to learn is
to try.

Most important fixes and improvements get done because of
miscellaneous people finding itches and scratching them. Look at how
long we've been trying to get signed packages in pacman! The people
doing the coding don't care about signed packages, and the people who
want signed packages aren't doing coding. So it takes _years_.

Don't let this take years. Or even months. Or even days.

All this aside, rc.sysinit is SUPPOSED to handle user cancellation.
Remember fsck returns 32 if the user cancels it.

    if [ ${fsckret} -gt 1 -a ${fsckret} -ne 32 ]; then

So on a return of 32, if skips the sulogin part and carries on. Why
didn't that work for you? No idea. Figure it out.