[arch-general] Mounting tmpfs on /dev. Why?

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 15:17:31 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 2:14 PM, AlannY <m at alanny.ru> wrote:
> Hi there. I'm newbie in Archlinux and I have another lame question.
>
> Recently, I've found that Arch mounts tmpfs on /dev. And, as you may see,
> this makes big problem to some applications.
Really? What type of problems? Because you will have much bigger
problems if you try to mount it on something that doesn't support
ACLs.
http://projects.archlinux.org/initscripts.git/commit/?id=e5248347fd0c00e9ea72ad3b3b3434573f08d96d

> I see: "none on /dev type tmpfs" in the output of mount program.
>
> This mount is not placed in /etc/fstab. So, I think this is done by some
> of init scripts. I've looked at the /etc/rc.d folder and grep "mount" `find`.
> But nothing interesting found.
>
> I really don't want to mount tmpfs on /dev. How to don't do it?

What do you want to do? You seem to be looking for a solution to a
problem that I'm not sure exists.

-Dan