[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Sun Jan 24 21:55:22 EST 2010

I know this is a going to be a probably tiresome discussion revived but
I'd like to get this over with. I've been meaning to do it for a while now.

My issue is that the cdrtools substitute cdrkit that Arch currently
officially provides is not actively developed (current to last stable
was around a year) and is technically inferior to cdrtools. cdrkit still
does not generate proper iso-level-3 file systems and has trouble with
big file support. This makes proper blu-ray creation hard. My upstream
bug report on their mailing list was completely ignored, for example [1].

I request using the original cdrtools in place of cdrkit. I know that it
actually was that way once but it was changed due to uncertainty about
licensing issues. It appears that these issues are now solved with the
conclusion that there are non while cdrkit is actually the offender.
I'm aware that I can get cdrtools from AUR. Even then, cdrkit uses
"replaces" and that spells "don't use cdrtools" for me. We should not be
using broken software in Arch when there are better alternatives
available just because of FUD about the licensing.

Let the fight begin.

[1]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debburn-devel/2009-November/000687.html

-- Sven-Hendrik