[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Attila vodoo0904 at sonnenkinder.org
Mon Jan 25 01:40:03 EST 2010

At Montag, 25. Januar 2010 03:55 Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:

> I know this is a going to be a probably tiresome discussion revived but
> I'd like to get this over with. I've been meaning to do it for a while now.

I support your opinion and use an own package for cdrtools but for me there was
a realy showstoper what i have read in a discussion on the forum: There is no
one who wants to maintain a cdrtools package.

So for me everyone has the right to have his own opinion and if there is no dev
who wants to maintain cdrtools than we risk to discuss a theoretic thing.

> My issue is that the cdrtools substitute cdrkit that Arch currently
> officially provides is not actively developed (current to last stable
> was around a year) and is technically inferior to cdrtools. cdrkit still
> does not generate proper iso-level-3 file systems and has trouble with
> big file support. This makes proper blu-ray creation hard. My upstream
> bug report on their mailing list was completely ignored, for example [1].

This is another reason to stay with the original. Thanks for this information.

See you, Attila