[arch-general] problem with video driver ?

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 23:19:59 EST 2010

2010/1/25 Xavier Chantry <chantry.xavier at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:04 AM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
>>
>> It is the 'ssh -X zita2 emacs' that is very slow.
>> Running emacs locally is perfectly OK.
>> The previous install was F9, it used nv, and
>> the same 'ssh -X zita2 emacs' worked perfectly.
>> Nothing has changed on zita2.
>>
>> As far as I can see, the Arch installation tries to enable
>> 3D-acceleration by installing 'drm'. I don't want it. How
>> can it be disabled ?
>>

> It seems I read your mail too quickly.
> But if only apps through ssh are slow, why would you suspect video
> driver, and not network / ssh speed ?
>
> And why would 3d acceleration make your X-forwarded 2d app slow ?
>
> By the way, you have no 3d-accel at all with nv, just very basic 2d.
> And afaik drm does not do anything on its own. It just provides the
> core of graphic drivers, like nouveau for instance. nv does not use it
> either.
> And there is no reason for using nv nowadays, nouveau does better in
> every aspect ! and nouveau does rely on drm so you will want to keep
> that.
>
> That said you can blacklist whatever you want, just have a look at /etc/rc.conf.
> You could also try blacklisting your network driver, I am sure it will
> make everything much faster :)

This is what has always happened ever since I started living on mobile
broadband, and with a local ISP that has a fat 12Mbps (100 at "partner
sites") pipe but latencies at which you can never win an online
gameplay.

Load up a live Fedora and see if you can't reproduce this, in which
case we would have something to work on.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD