[arch-general] problem with video driver ?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Jan 25 06:46:03 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 02:18:42AM +0100, Xavier Chantry wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:04 AM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> >
> > It is the 'ssh -X zita2 emacs' that is very slow.
> > Running emacs locally is perfectly OK.
> > The previous install was F9, it used nv, and
> > the same 'ssh -X zita2 emacs' worked perfectly.
> > Nothing has changed on zita2.
> >
> > As far as I can see, the Arch installation tries to enable
> > 3D-acceleration by installing 'drm'. I don't want it. How
> > can it be disabled ?
> >

> It seems I read your mail too quickly.
> But if only apps through ssh are slow, why would you suspect video
> driver, and not network / ssh speed ?

Because they seem to be OK, e.g. transfer speed when using
rsync is what is was before. Anyway the slowest part in the
link is probably the wireless access point anyway.

Meanwhile I installed nouveau. The only difference I notice
is that now the 'visual bell' in xterm has become very slow
as well (to the point of being unusable), also locally.

There are some other things I noticed:
(with either nv or nouveau)

fons at zita1:~> ssh -X zita2
Last login: Mon Jan 25 12:26:33 2010 from zita1.kokkinizita.net
fons at zita2:~> emacs
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "localhost:10.0".

I'm pretty sure this is installed.

fons at zita2:~> qjackctl
X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
  Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
  Resource id:  0x119

qjackctl is a qt4 app.

--
FA