[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Jan 25 10:28:31 EST 2010

Heiko Baums wrote:

>I don't know anything about the technical differences between cdrkit
>and cdrtools but http://cdrkit.org says:
>News
>2009/10/11
>Cdrkit 1.1.10 has been released.

>So the last stable release was not a year but only three months ago.
>This looks like an active development for me.

Please have a closer look on _what_ was changed in this "release". This have
been mainly single char typo corrections but the > 100 well known bugs that
exist as long as the fork exists have never been fixed.

On the original software, you see more changes (enhancements and fixes) in a
lazy week than the "cdrkit project" did get since May 6th 2007 in total.

In the fork, problems are ignored. In the original software, problems are fixed
very soon; typically within hours. This is why there are no known problems in
the original software.

The fork did not publish a single version that was known to be without bugs at
the time of publishing. The original cdrtools project did publish more than 70
releases in the same time and more than 60 of them did have not a single bug
when they have been published.

Jörg