[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Jan 25 14:35:32 EST 2010

Kitty <secacat at gmail.com> wrote:

> 3. Take the cdrtools devs at their word and dump cdr-kit.
>
> FWIW, I'm in favor of #3, and practically, the other bigger distros
> that have switched back to cdrtools are fatter targets for any legal
> action. Furthermore, who exactly would be doing the suing? If it's the
> GNU, then their goal would be to fix the licence problems, not collect
> money. If that happened, put it all in AUR and wash our hands.

You are very close to the important points:

If you like to sue someone based on a work, you need to be an involved
Copyright holder.

The FSF cannot sue anybody for cdrtools because the FSF does not own any
copyright on the sources.

Debian cannot sue anybody for cdrtools because Debian does not own any
copyright on the sources.

Who else could be interested and have the needed rights?

Jörg