[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Jan 27 09:43:27 EST 2010

On 28/01/10 00:12, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Allan McRae<allan at archlinux.org>  wrote:

>>> In the legal system I live and in case you live in the USA for you too, _you_
>>> would first need to prove that there is a legal problem with the original
>>> software.
>>
>> Nice avoidance yet again of the request to provide some legal backing to
>> your assertion that it is legal to distribute cdrtools.
>
> You still did not prove that it is illegal. I sit back and relax unless you can
> prove your claims.

Yes you can...  and equally so can we and not package cdrtools unless
you can prove yours.  Even if you can prove your claim, we still can
relax and do nothing.  Although, as I said before, the technical merits
of your project warrant it replacing cdrkit if this is ever resolved.
Unfortunately, that will likely never be the case given the conclusions
that can be drawn from all "evidence" that has been presented out so far.

>> In the legal system I live in, if you have a suspicion that doing
>> something is illegal, then you do not do it.  If someone tells you that
>> it is fine with no evidence of legal backing for that assertion and you
>> decide to take their advise, you are legally responsible for your decision.
>
> Well, it seems that you decided to use a model that is highly vulnerable for
> FUD and you are even in conflict with your own statements:
>
> Did you remove cdrkit from Arch Linux?

No, because the only reference I can see to cdrkit being an illegal fork
is in comments made by you.  In my searching, I could not find an actual
reason given why you think that is the case.  That is extreme FUD.

FUD from a single source I can ignore.  FUD debated by multiple sources
might actually have a basis... And this has been debated in multiple
places. That is the concern here.

Allan