[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Wed Jan 27 10:39:13 EST 2010

Am Thu, 28 Jan 2010 00:43:27 +1000
schrieb Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>:

> Yes you can...  and equally so can we and not package cdrtools unless
> you can prove yours.  Even if you can prove your claim, we still can
> relax and do nothing.  Although, as I said before, the technical
> merits of your project warrant it replacing cdrkit if this is ever
> resolved. Unfortunately, that will likely never be the case given the
> conclusions that can be drawn from all "evidence" that has been
> presented out so far.
> No, because the only reference I can see to cdrkit being an illegal
> fork is in comments made by you.  In my searching, I could not find
> an actual reason given why you think that is the case.  That is
> extreme FUD.
>
> FUD from a single source I can ignore.  FUD debated by multiple
> sources might actually have a basis... And this has been debated in
> multiple places. That is the concern here.

Ok, people, can you, please, stop this stupid flame war? It's really
boring, annoying and really stupid! Sorry to say that.

Allan, what do you have against Jörg?
Jörg, some of your comments are also not quite productive.

This doesn't seem to be a legal issue but a pure personal one.

1. Both is free and opensource software so this shouldn't matter. Read
what Robert Howard has written in this thread.

2. Jörg as the author and seeming copyright holder of both software
cdrecord and mkisofs has already stated that he has no problem with the
release of cdrtools (linking cdrecord against mkisofs) and won't sue
you.

3. Both programs are released in the same package cdrtools. So why
should there be a legal issue?

4. In the package
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/cdrtools-2.01.tar.gz I can't find
anything about the CDDL. I can only find the GPLv2 and a file with some
- sorry Jörg - childish (the comment about the config path) or
unnecessary (the comment about the copyright) restrictions of the GPL.
So where is the legal licensing issue?

What is technically better from an objective point of view, cdrtools
or cdrkit? If cdrkit is better then keep cdrkit. If cdrtools is better
then dump cdrkit and move cdrtools to [extra].

If someone thinks he needs to sue you then you still can revert to
cdrkit.

But, please, stop this pointless (personal) flame war!

Greetings,
Heiko