[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 13:19:39 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 15:45 +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>>> Just to make it clear:
>>>
>>> There is not a single claim from a lawyer that confirms the claims
>>> from
>>> the hostile downstram packager.
>>
>> Looking through the thread on the fedora list they claim there's lawyers
>> confirmed it, but in the same thread you say they're not lawyers.
>>
>> Point is, the situation is unclear and all that is done is flaming.
>> People flame you for your weird license, you flame other people for
>> forking your software.
>
> Mr Schilling reminds me quite a bit of that Ion guy who was overly
> hostile and trollish. That clears up the situation just fine for me.

Well I thought about that too, and I believe there is one huge
difference : tuomov explicitly imposed a lot of restrictions in
packaging, and apparently didn't want or didn't care at all if Arch
packaged it or not.
If it is packaged, it has to be under his terms. If it isn't, who
cares. His interest seemed to not have it packaged, as he believes
that would mean less problems and less bug reports for him.

Joerg on the other hand seems to care a lot about the inclusion of his
software in the official Arch repository.
Actually, I really wonder like pyther : "What is in this for him?".
The software is already in AUR, which every Arch users know and use.
According to him, wodim is completely broken, so surely the majority
of Arch users either notice it themselves or are told by other people,
and will switch to AUR cdrecord.
Even if that's not the case (2 possibilities : wodim is not as broken
as Joerg pretends, or arch users are clueless), is Arch really
noticeable compared to the big distrib ?
I am curious to know if anyone has pointers to estimates of linux
distribution userbase, but I doubt Arch would matter.

And seriously, if the goal is world domination, making Debian/Ubuntu
an enemy is a very efficient way for failing.