[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Jan 27 14:53:48 EST 2010

Xavier Chantry <chantry.xavier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Joerg on the other hand seems to care a lot about the inclusion of his
> software in the official Arch repository.
> Actually, I really wonder like pyther : "What is in this for him?".
> The software is already in AUR, which every Arch users know and use.
> According to him, wodim is completely broken, so surely the majority
> of Arch users either notice it themselves or are told by other people,
> and will switch to AUR cdrecord.
> Even if that's not the case (2 possibilities : wodim is not as broken
> as Joerg pretends, or arch users are clueless), is Arch really

If you believe the fork is not broken, then you don't seem to use it.

wodim does not deal with hald and has many other problems including missing DVD
support.

genisoimage does not support UTF-8 and large files and creates filesystem
images with lots of bugs.

If you don't notice, well.... Wait until you like to read the filesystem from a
OS that does nto tolerate the bugs from genisoimage ;-)

Jörg