[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Brendan Long korin43 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 15:30:29 EST 2010

On 01/27/2010 11:19 AM, Xavier Chantry wrote:
> Joerg on the other hand seems to care a lot about the inclusion of his
> software in the official Arch repository.
> Actually, I really wonder like pyther : "What is in this for him?".
> The software is already in AUR, which every Arch users know and use.
> According to him, wodim is completely broken, so surely the majority
> of Arch users either notice it themselves or are told by other people,
> and will switch to AUR cdrecord.

Perhaps he's annoyed because he wrote a big important piece of software
and everyone refuses to use it because of BS claims that he's going to
sue them. Wouldn't it make you angry if you went to the trouble to write
something like this and everyone ditched it over claims by someone who
just wants to make their shitty fork popular?

Or maybe he doesn't like making things a huge pain in the ass for his
users. Installing cdrtools from the AUR isn't exactly obvious or easy.
Even if you do learn about this (like I did from this thread), yaourt -S
cdrtools doesn't work (it automatically installs cdrkit instead).

-Brendan Long