[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 19:35:55 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 11:19 +0100, stefan-husmann at t-online.de wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> the only reason I did not move cdrtools to community was that license
>> reason.  So if that is no showstopper anymore, I can maintain it.
>>
>> Regards Stefan
>
> I just checked alpha10, one of the first versions that was released as
> CDDL, that also has that exception.
>
> It seems that GPL and CDDL have some conflicting paragraphs, so even if
> CDDL allows linking to GPL with this exception, GPL doesn't allow the
> other way around.
>
> So no, releasing as binary is still not possible when it comes to
> mkisofs. mkisofs is still plain GPL without exceptions.

That could be the reason of this new project...
https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=6137

The link in the announcement is broken, but it is easy to find in the
same ftp, and the Download links in the top leads directly to it :
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/isofsmk/

If mkisofs is the only doubtful part, why not replacing only mkisofs ?
Wouldn't that be better than replacing everything ?

Joerg already said that mkisofs received the most code changes, and
that genisoimage was quite problematic :
"genisoimage does not support UTF-8 and large files and creates
filesystem images with lots of bugs."

I am sure he will have plenty of nice things to say about isofsmk as well !

Anyway, if it was up to me, I would not replace anything, I would just
provide everything, and give the power to the user. Either all as
packages, or all as pkgbuilds in AUR, to not make anyone jealous.