[arch-general] Little problems with arch

Andrea Fagiani andfagiani at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 20:44:33 EST 2010

On 01/29/2010 11:59 PM, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> I have a little dell 10 with archlinux.
>
> Unfortunately the audio and 3d are not really working, I tried hard some
> time ago but with no luck, anyway other problems are more annoying.
>
> - time getting crazy
>    Every time I reboot this little machine the date is set somehow randomly.
>    Any idea of what could that be?
>
>    Maybe the battery that should keep it up is not working (I think is an
>    OS issue though)??
>
> - screensaver
>
>    I use xfce but I installed quite a lot of stuff from gnome, but I
>    never asked for the stupid gnome-screensaver to start at every boot,
>    and I don't find how to disable it.
>
>    My daemons are only those:
> DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond acpid sshd hal bluetooth alsa
> rsyncd cpufreqd wicd cups fam)
>
> - network devices with random name
>
>    I had some troubles with the wireless card but then it worked smoothly
>    with the proprietary "broadcom-wl" driver, the only problems is that
>    sometimes
>
>    eth0 = lan, eth1 = wireless and sometimes is the opposite
>    and I don't understand why.
>    This also happens with normal reboots.
>
> - no packages to update
>
>    This is quite strange, sometimes I do a "pacman -Suy" and I loop up to
>    date, but if I change the first mirror just editing mirrorlist I'm not
>    up to date anymore and it starts updating.
>
>    What does that mean? Not all the mirrors are on sync?
>    Could it be related somehow to my problem with the date (shouldn't be
>    though)?

Hi Andrea,
1) time issue
check your /etc/rc.conf and make sure you have
     HARDWARECLOCK="localtime"
and the correct TIMEZONE setting.

Also, if that is already ok, try deleting //var/lib/hwclock/adjtime/ ,
this fixed it for me.

2) about gnome-screensaver, I don't really know I've never had such
problems with it, I'd try running /gnome-screensaver-preferences/ and
disabling it from there though.

3) network intefaces issue
if that keeps up you could try adding udev rules for your devices:
create a new rules file, e.g. //etc/udev/rules.d/66-nic.rules/ , a
possible set of rules would look like

         KERNEL=="eth*", SYSFS{address}=="aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff", NAME="eth0"
         KERNEL=="eth*", SYSFS{address}=="ff:ee:dd:cc:bb:aa", NAME="eth1"

where the address fields should match that of your network intefaces
(you can use /ifconfig /to narrow that down).
That should pretty much do the trick.

4) mirrors
Yes, some mirrors may be out of sync, take a look at the Mirror Status
<https://www.archlinux.de/?page=MirrorStatus> ;-)

Andrea