[arch-general] Little problems with arch

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 18:59:14 EST 2010

I have a little dell 10 with archlinux.

Unfortunately the audio and 3d are not really working, I tried hard some
time ago but with no luck, anyway other problems are more annoying.

- time getting crazy
  Every time I reboot this little machine the date is set somehow randomly.
  Any idea of what could that be?

  Maybe the battery that should keep it up is not working (I think is an
  OS issue though)??

- screensaver

  I use xfce but I installed quite a lot of stuff from gnome, but I
  never asked for the stupid gnome-screensaver to start at every boot,
  and I don't find how to disable it.

  My daemons are only those:
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond acpid sshd hal bluetooth alsa
rsyncd cpufreqd wicd cups fam)

- network devices with random name

  I had some troubles with the wireless card but then it worked smoothly
  with the proprietary "broadcom-wl" driver, the only problems is that
  sometimes

  eth0 = lan, eth1 = wireless and sometimes is the opposite
  and I don't understand why.
  This also happens with normal reboots.

- no packages to update

  This is quite strange, sometimes I do a "pacman -Suy" and I loop up to
  date, but if I change the first mirror just editing mirrorlist I'm not
  up to date anymore and it starts updating.

  What does that mean? Not all the mirrors are on sync?
  Could it be related somehow to my problem with the date (shouldn't be
  though)?