[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit - tone it down

Nathan Wayde kumyco at konnichi.com
Sat Jan 30 03:43:03 EST 2010

@Joerg Schilling

This is not another attack against you so please to not try and make
yourself appear as some kinda of victim here as well.

I know it's none of my business replying here, but I feel I need to say
something. It's not related to the original discussion, but your attitude.

Now, I'll say it up front, I'm not a psychological professional, shrink
or anyone qualified to discuss this, but I will put my foot in my mouth
anyway.

Over this entire thread, you have come off as very aggressive, maybe
this has something to do with the language, maybe it's just your
personality. You have, dare I say attacked others, presented others in a
somewhat degraded light. You do all these things, as far as I can tell,
without sufficient reason(e.g calling others hostile when that had
nothing to do with the discussion, also see your comments about Arch as
well...).

Throughout, you have presented yourself as some sort of victim. This
coupled with your defensive behaviour is not very good. It leads to you
appearing as some kind of troll, or someone whose sole intent is to
destroy cdrkit as opposed to getting cdrtools back into Arch.

On 30/01/10 07:35, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Steve Holmes<steve.holmes88 at gmail.com>  wrote:

>> I don't know much about the licenses differences and all that crap but
>> I experienced a problem with cdrecord several years ago where it would
>> not work with my CD burner.  I kept getting wiere I/O errors or some
>> such.  When I asked around,some people told me about wodim and when I
>> went out and installed wodim, I've been able to burn CDs and DVDs
>> flawlessly ever since.  My time with wodim has transpired over
>> Slackware, Debian, and now Arch.  I don't know today if cdrecord would
>> still cause me those errors or not but for me, the drkit has been
>> doing me just fine.
>
> As you do not give any facts, this is obviously nonsense.

No, that doesn't make it nonsense and along with your other favourite
words (such as hostile, attacked, victim) your use of it is very appears
needlessly aggressive. This kind of attitude leads to bad/buggy software.

> I know of not a single case where cdrecord fails but wodim succeeds.
Obviously you do not because you haven't tested every possible
combination of software and hardware here. I can give you a real-life
example, NetworkManager, it works great until I attemp to play games, I
get a very noticeable lag every so often than ruins online games for me.
This issue does not exist, now nor has it ever existed with any other
networking tool(netcfg, wicd) some time ago I read about it being blamed
on buggy drivers, yet it exists only because of the way NetworkManager
does a periodic background scan.
You are being introduced to a potential new case here, don't blindly
dismiss it.

> Wodim is nothing than an onl version of cdrecord with bugs added by it't
> creators that never have been in the original.

At this moment in time, I cannot upgrade xorg-xinit from the old 1.1.1-1
to 1.2.0-1 because some scripts breaks and I haven't bothered to look
into it. By your logic, this is obviusly nonsense because the newer,
less buggy xorg-xinit has no such regressions.

> If you would give evidence, it would be easy to prove that your alleged problem
> is not related to cdrecord.
>
> Jörg

Again, no-one likes a victim. Try not to be so defensive. Look at
Pidgin's xfire/gfire plugin, it suffers from bugs and possible security
issues because the developers exhibited similar defensive behavior
towards me, today I upgrade and fix those bugs as I like without even
bothering to report them. Attitude like this drives people away, people
with potentially valuable input.