[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Uli Armbruster uli.armbruster at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 30 13:58:54 EST 2010

Just some words from my point of view:

Like some of you guys - most of you I guess.. - I don't really like Jörg's way to articulate. He has his arguments, which are really good ones, but it always becomes a discussion like this. I saw this in the german Ubuntu forums, before I switched to Archlinux.

But he really makes me feel like he loves his software and wants to maintain it as active as possible, so it always stays free of known bugs and is as well written as he is able to. I'm no real coder, so I cannot confirm that, but I trust him in this point.
Maybe we deal here with a guy, who isn't really good in expressing himself in writing. I have this problem as well, I'm a much better talker than writer, when I write stuff, people often misunderstand me. Maybe it's the same with Jörg (although his english is VERY good!). But is this really an argument wether to use someone's software or not? I mean, for example, many people think RMS is a real idiot, but still they use his utils, because they are good software. There could be thousands of other examples. Are the devs of Firefox nice guys? Who gives a shit about that? Nobody, right, because nobody needs to talk to them about such issues Jörg always has to discuss about.

What I want to say is, don't focus on Jörg's writing style or the way he articulates, focus on the software and the license issues.
And Jörg, PLEASE do yourself a favor and stay on topic, the people here want to be sure if it's legal to use your software, so provide every information you are able to provide and don't always just write stuff like "I have a personal email of ..." (too lazy right now to find your exact quote, this thread is very long already ;-) ) You want Arch to use cdrtools in its official repos? So do what has to be done. If Allan, a VERY important Arch Dev, wants something specific, you should provide everything you can. It doesn't help you at all to play a little crybaby with this whole "They stole my software" (again, no real quote) etc.

I'd love to see cdrtools in Arch, simply because it's really superior to cdrkit. If it's illegal to provide it in the repos, we still have the AUR, but the repos are official, the AUR is not, so if it's possible, having it in the repos would be preferable.

Hope to see this discussion come to a good end for both sides ... Yes I'm a dreamer ;-)

Greetz
Army