[arch-general] Syncing the mirrors

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Jan 31 09:44:12 EST 2010

Am Sonntag, 31. Januar 2010 15:27:03 schrieb Dan McGee:
> Thanks for signing that message, I wasn't sure it was from you.

OT: Can't we strip gpg-signatures from the mailinglist? It's of no use. Use
s/mime instead ;-)

> The problem here is we haven't had anyone step up and finish a two
> tier mirror system. The situation has improved a bit, but without a
> developer actively working on it we aren't going to have it fully
> implemented.

There are several methods to improve the situation:
* multi tier mirroring. Roman started to work on this but might need some help
  here. It's mostly an organizing task
* Add support for using both gz and xz compressed packages to db-scripts. This
  way we could migrate to the way better xz compression and reduce traffic:
  http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17280
* Implement a common package pool and link to those packages from every repo.
  This would have reduce the amount of transfered data from several GB to a
  few KB in the current case. (also an dbscritps issue)

dbscripts can be found at http://projects.archlinux.org/dbscripts.git/

Everybody could help implementing this and submit patches for us to review.

Pierre