[arch-general] Syncing the mirrors

Hannes Rist hrist at selfnet.de
Sun Jan 31 11:05:21 EST 2010

Hi,

> There are several methods to improve the situation:
> * multi tier mirroring. Roman started to work on this but might need
some help
> here. It's mostly an organizing task

I strongly second that. Having a geographically organized hierarchy would
be nice, so that there are tier-1 mirrors in every country (of course not
if there are for example only two mirrors/country those could sync from
the geographically closest tier-1 mirror), those being machines with a
somewhat reasonable connection, and then have the mirrors sync from those
machines and only the tier-1 (mirror.us,mirror.eu,mirror.de and the like)
sync from rsync.archlinux.org and all others sync from those.
As Pierre pointed out this is mostly an organizational problem as in
selecting the tier-1 mirrors and asking the owners if they're going to
support this plan. Eg for the tier-1 mirrors we could ask the guys from
kernel.org for the main us and eu mirrors, and for eg germany ask the
owner of ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de or maybe Hosteurope. I don't know the
situation in countries != de, but IIRC we have a lot of mirrors here.

> * Add support for using both gz and xz compressed packages to db-scripts.
> This way we could migrate to the way better xz compression and reduce
> traffic: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17280

I don't know much about the package-system but if theres a 25% decrease in
package size this sounds like one would like to have this anway.

Just my 2 cents on this topic.
regards,
Hannes 'hrist' Rist

--