[arch-general] Syncing the mirrors

Lukáš Jirkovský l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 11:14:05 EST 2010

On 31 January 2010 17:05, Hannes Rist <hrist at selfnet.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> There are several methods to improve the situation:
>> * multi tier mirroring. Roman started to work on this but might need
> some help
>> here. It's mostly an organizing task
>
> I strongly second that. Having a geographically organized hierarchy would
> be nice, so that there are tier-1 mirrors in every country (of course not
> if there are for example only two mirrors/country those could sync from
> the geographically closest tier-1 mirror), those being machines with a
> somewhat reasonable connection, and then have the mirrors sync from those
> machines and only the tier-1 (mirror.us,mirror.eu,mirror.de and the like)
> sync from rsync.archlinux.org and all others sync from those.
> As Pierre pointed out this is mostly an organizational problem as in
> selecting the tier-1 mirrors and asking the owners if they're going to
> support this plan. Eg for the tier-1 mirrors we could ask the guys from
> kernel.org for the main us and eu mirrors, and for eg germany ask the
> owner of ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de or maybe Hosteurope. I don't know the
> situation in countries != de, but IIRC we have a lot of mirrors here.
>

>> * Add support for using both gz and xz compressed packages to db-scripts.
>> This way we could migrate to the way better xz compression and reduce
>> traffic: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17280
>
> I don't know much about the package-system but if theres a 25% decrease in
> package size this sounds like one would like to have this anway.
>

> Just my 2 cents on this topic.
> regards,
> Hannes 'hrist' Rist
>
> --
> Hannes Rist
> +----------------------------------------------------+
> | Crew Selfnet e.V.            NOC: admin at selfnet.de |
> | Allmandring 8A               http://www.selfnet.de |
> | 70569 Stuttgart              Fax: +49 711 620 4796 |

Hi all,
I think that the syncing would be much less painful if there was some
possibility to tell mirrors that package foo has been moved from
[testing] to [extra]. Then these rebuilds would be only a matter of
distributing information which packages should be moved from [testing]
(that could be done by one text file).

Lukas