[arch-general] Arch Linux and security - it needs some work

Pierre Chapuis catwell at archlinux.us
Sun Jan 31 12:14:29 EST 2010

Le Sun, 31 Jan 2010 15:01:15 +0000,
Ananda Samaddar <ananda.samaddar at vfemail.net> a écrit :

> After some discussion we should be able to reach a consensus and
> start giving security issues the priority they deserve.

Maybe this is the problem: some people (including me) might think that
perfect security is not a priority. The people from Debian see it this
way:

    security > functionnality > simplicity

I see it the other way around:

    simplicity > functionnality > simplicity

Meaning: I prefer something that is simple and insecure. I am OK with
more security if it doesn't make Arch tools overly complex. Otherwise,
because Arch is a desktop (as opposed to server) distribution, it is
just not worth it.

--
catwell