[arch-general] screen goes blank on reboot after 1st pacman Su of new install!!!???

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu Jul 8 01:14:51 EDT 2010

It would appear that on Jul 7, Myra Nelson did say:

> Joe:
>
> I gave up on gpm in a terminal before x is started. I never could manage
> to get to work right.

Whereas I've almost always got gpm working... In fact I had it working on
this install (right after blacklisting nouveau, got me a semi-usable
console, right up until I installed nvidia. (sigh) But for anything short
of boot screen error messages, I can redirect or tee into a file and use
vim's :r command to include anything I really want. It's just such a pain
that way...

> The other thing I've noticed about the onboard graphics is some
> manufacturers seem to modify the drivers slightly. I had one laptop with
> ATI onboard and the only drivers I could make work were the ones from the
> laptop manufacturer.

Now why doesn't that surprise me???

> Glad you got it working, mostly at least.

Me too! Heck now that it's working, I've had time to fully configure xfce,
e16 & my operational favorite, e17... Course I may like "_USING_" e17 best,
but configuring it is always a chore. For example this time the keyboard
shortcut assignment tool kept ignoring the keyboard (2 out of 3 times) when
I'd want to set up shortcuts to exec things like:

xterm -bg darkviolet -fg green -fn 12x24 -geometry 92x30

Fortunately I figured out that I could use the mouse pointer to mark the
syntax example that always needs to be deleted, then a right click on the
marked text let me "cut" it, and finally by switching to a terminal window
with an editor session open, I could create the text of the command there,
and then mark it with the mouse, switch back to the semi-functional shortcut
routine and paste the text it wouldn't let me type... <sigh> But I can't
complain too much, Once I manage to get it configured to taste, E17 has
always been a pleasure to use...

At this point I've got Arch sufficiently squared away for me to consider
making my next project installing Xubuntu an another partition...

But not tonight!

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice...