[arch-general] kernel26-2.6.34.1 - won't boot - stuck at "Setting up UTF-8 mode" [Downgrade to kernel26-2.6.34-2 OK]

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Jul 11 18:06:49 EDT 2010

Guys,

	I have managed to find a work-around to the latest kernel failing to boot on my
Toshiba laptop. Before downgrading, I tried chrooting the system and rebuilding
the initramfs, but no luck it stopped at the same place on boot -- Setting up
UTF-8 mode.

	So I booted to the dual-install media, chrooted the system and downgraded to
kernel26-2.6.34-2. This kernel boots fine.

	There is a problem with kernel26-2.6.34.1-1-x86_64. Since I can't boot it, I'm
not sure what testing I can do, but if you can think of one, I'm happy to run
it. This laptop is a Toshiba 205d. It hasn't ever had a problem with any other
Arch or SuSE kernel, so I'm not sure what to tell you.

	I've posted the dmidecode information in case that will help. It is here:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/Archlinux/bugs/toshiba205d-dmidecode.txt

	Let me know what you think.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.