[arch-general] kernel26-2.6.34.1 - won't boot - stuck at "Setting up UTF-8 mode" [Downgrade to kernel26-2.6.34-2 OK]

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Jul 12 03:57:03 EDT 2010

On 07/11/2010 05:06 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I have managed to find a work-around to the latest kernel failing to boot on my
> Toshiba laptop. Before downgrading, I tried chrooting the system and rebuilding
> the initramfs, but no luck it stopped at the same place on boot -- Setting up
> UTF-8 mode.
>
> So I booted to the dual-install media, chrooted the system and downgraded to
> kernel26-2.6.34-2. This kernel boots fine.
>
> There is a problem with kernel26-2.6.34.1-1-x86_64. Since I can't boot it, I'm
> not sure what testing I can do, but if you can think of one, I'm happy to run
> it. This laptop is a Toshiba 205d. It hasn't ever had a problem with any other
> Arch or SuSE kernel, so I'm not sure what to tell you.
>
> I've posted the dmidecode information in case that will help. It is here:
>
> http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/Archlinux/bugs/toshiba205d-dmidecode.txt
>
> Let me know what you think.

CORRECTION: 2.6.34-2 is not OK, it has this issue with booting once, then going
bad and not booting again. Same with the 2.6.34.1 kernel...

Allan, all,

	This kernel problem I'm having with the 2.6.34 kernels seems like it is getting
worse. I'm getting 'kernel null pointer' errors and then spaghetti spewed all
over the screen. This happens just about every time I install a 2.6.34 Arch
kernel on this laptop. (either 2.6.34-2 or 2.6.34.1) The 2.6.32-LTS kernel is
working fine (perfect actually).

	I've tried rebuilding the initramfs or whatever you call it with:

Normal Kernel:

/sbin/mkinitcpio -k 2.6.34-ARCH -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/kernel26.img

Fallback Kernel:

/sbin/mkinitcpio -k 2.6.34-ARCH -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g
/boot/kernel26-fallback.img -S autodetect

and each time it completes successfully. But then it will either boot once OK,
then fail to boot the very next time I try to boot the box -- or -- it will
never boot.  It looks like it is blowing up on the loading modules line or it
just gets stuck on the setting up UTF-8 mode line. No doubt this bug is also
what is causing compiz to white-screen when I do get one of these new kernels to
boot, but with no logging on during the boot process when it blows up, I'm not
sure what to do.

	What say the gurus?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.