[arch-general] nVidia MCP79

Alexander Lam lambchop468 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 09:19:57 EDT 2010

Sorry for the late response, I've been away.
I've actually been trying to make my own ALC268 louder, so I've read
up on hda architecture :P
(I haven't been successful though)

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Rafael Beraldo
<rafaelluisberaldo at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/7/11 Rafael Beraldo <rafaelluisberaldo at gmail.com>
>

> >  $  cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
> > Codec: Realtek ALC269
> > Codec: Nvidia MCP79/7A HDMI

card0 is a single HDA controller. an HDA controller is basically a dma
controller that sends audio data to a codec connected to the HDA bus
on that card.
In this instance, you have two codecs connected to the same HDA
controller, which means...

> > Which, I think, means that MCP79 only controls HDMI audio output. I was
> > looking at the wrong place all this time. This card is not shown when I run
> > lspci. Anyway, I quickly searched the web and found nothing relevant but
You won't see two sound cards in lspci because both sound codecs are
on the same pci device.
> > that:
> > http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-eeepc-devel/2010-February/003320.html.
> > However, this error doesn't exist in the current kernel.
> >
> > I'll try the parameters for ALC269. There are a few in that link, including
> > two related to eeepc, and no parameters to MCP79.
> >
> > --
> > Rafael Beraldo
> > http://cabaladada.org
> >

> I tested all parameters. Two of them give me interesting results: quanta
> gives me control not only of the internal mic but also of the external mic
> and basic gives me control of all of it and the front speaker. In both cases
> alsa daemon gives and error related to the NVIDIA chipset but everything
> works.
>
> Sound volume didn't change with any parameters.
>
> Also, alsamixer says it is using the NVIDIA MCP79 and I can't change the
> sound card by typing F6.
This may be the fault of your terminal.
Did you try amixer instead?

> Now I'm just confused and again wondering if the sound isn't just that loud.
>
> --
> Rafael Beraldo
> http://cabaladada.org

Anyway, I highly recommend using reading
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Help_To_Debug_Intel_HDA and
using the HDA-Analyzer utility mentioned there - you can mess with
your codecs manually to try to get louder sound.

--
Alexander Lam