[arch-general] Bad News .35rc kernel boots to KMS switch then hardlocks box

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Jul 18 16:50:04 EDT 2010

Guys,

	Still plugging away at why the 2.6.34 kernels either lock on boot or if boot is
successful, the graphics system whitescreens when compiz is started. To
investigate (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/20200), Andreas suggested I try the
.35rc kernel. So once Thomas pointed me in the right direction to get the kernel
from AUR, I built it (it built fine, all default values were used except the
Ath9k modules were activated (I have an Atheros wireless card).

	Bad news, the kernel boots to what I guess is the KMS switch (that part where
your screen flips from normal text mode to the higher resolution graphics mode)
and then:

(1) a 3-4 pixel horizontal white line flashes across the 'center' of the screen
for approximately 1-2 seconds and; then

(2) the screen goes completely black (dead unpowered black) and the box hardlocks.

	So the 2.6.35rc test was a bust. Do you think there is any use in recompiling
and not enabling the Ath9k module will make any difference. Let me know. I guess
the next step is to get with the radeon upstream folks and get them involved
because the kernel/atiRS690M problem has gone from:

   good (2.6.32 kernel); to

   bad (2.6.33 kernel - compiz works but slow); to

   worse (2.6.34 only boots less than 20% of the time and compiz whitescreens
every time); to

   completely unsuable (2.6.35rc kernel - won't boot at all)

	Let me know if you think recompiling w/o ath9k will make any difference and if
any of you have contacts on the radeon upstream list, pass them along so I at
least have an idea of who has any Arch knowledge on that list.

	Any other thoughts let me know, because it is apparent something has to be
fixed before 2.6.35 moves forward.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC